1. Basic information
Gather basic information about the parties.
2. Spousal maintenance
If one party will pay spousal maintenance to the other party, complete this section.
3. No spousal maintenance
Complete this section if there will not be spousal maintenance.
4. Life insurance – present value used
Complete this section if the present value of any life insurance policies will be used.
5. Life insurance – beneficiary designation
Complete this section for the beneficiary designation of any life insurance policies.
6. Medical insurance for spouse
Determine medical insurance obligations.
7. Homestead – equity
Determine how homestead equity will be handled.
8. Homestead – permanent possession
If one party will gain possession of the homestead, complete this section.
9. Homestead – temporary possession
Complete this section if possession of the homestead will be temporary.
10. Homestead – other possession options
Complete this section for homestead possession options other than temporary or permanent.
12. Homestead – refinancing
Complete this section if the homestead will be refinanced.
13. Homestead – foreclosure
Complete this section if the homestead is in foreclosure.
14. Homestead – cost obligations
Determine how costs associated with the homestead will be split.
15. Other real estate
If parties own other real estate, complete the sections related to homestead for the other real estate.
16. Household goods and furniture
Determine how household goods and furniture will be divided.
17. Bank accounts
Determine how parties' bank accounts will be divided.
18. Retirement interests
Determine how any retirement interests will be divided.
Determine how any investments will be divided.
20. Business interests
Determine how any business interests will be divided.
Determine how any automobiles will be divided.
22. Nonmarital property and debt
Determine how nonmarital property and debt will be handled.
Determine how any debts will be handled.
24. Equalization payment
Determine the terms of any equalization payment.
25. Attorney fees
Determine how attorney fees will be handled.
26. Name change
Complete this section if a party desires a name change.
27. Courtroom questions – “proving up” the petition
Elicit the following information in the courtroom to prove up the petition.
28. Courtroom questions – approving of the agreement
Elicit the following information in the courtroom to show that the parties agree to the terms.
29. Courtroom questions – state of mind
Elicit the following information in the courtroom to show the client's state of mind.
30. Courtroom questions – waiver of spousal maintenance or right to modify
Elicit the following information if the right to have or modify spousal maintenance has been waived.
31. Courtroom questions – name change
Elicit the following information if a spouse will change his/her name.