Transmitting Hope in the Midst of Uncertainty
Tuesday February 28
- By: Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Time: 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM
- Time Zone: Central Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
Hennepin County Bar Association600 Nicollet Avenue SouthSuite 390Minneapolis, MNMap: maps.google.com
Barb CruzVolunteer Lawyers Network6127526655
- Website: vln.formstack.com
We live in fast changing times. Many of the people we work with may feel uncertain or hopeless about what is going to happen in the future. As volunteers in a legal clinic setting, we do not have a lot of time to get to know a client, assess their case, and provide a meaningful legal service. How can we do this better, especially in times of added uncertainty and change? Presenters will speak to concerns both lawyers and non-lawyers have about providing brief and unbundled legal services in a legal clinic setting, such as:
- Common concerns in the communities we work within and how to acknowledge them meaningfully.
- Practical tips on how to transmit hope in the context of a brief legal advice session.
- Potential ethical pitfalls faced by volunteers (both attorneys and non-attorneys) when providing services.
- Nicole J. Starr, Judge of District Court, Second Judicial District
- Pat Burns, Deputy Director, Office of Lawyers Professional Responsibility
- Mark Schneider, Executive Director, Barbara Schneider Foundation
- Mohamud Moor, Interim Director, Confederation of Somali Communities
- Colleen Beebe, Director and Resource Attorney, Immigrant Legal Services Program, VLN
- Gina Mendez, Legal Clinic Coordinator, Waite House
- CLE Credit Comments: 3.0 CLE credits will be applied for.